Skip Navigation | Accessibility Statement | Site Map

Main Navigation Bar

Do I need a Certificate in Religious Education to teach?

Do I need a Certificate in Religious Education to teach in all Catholic Nursery or Primary schools in Northern Ireland?

Teachers can only be appointed to a Catholic Maintained nursery or primary school if they hold a recognised Certificate in Religious Education.


Do I need a Certificate in Religious Education to teach in Catholic Maintained Secondary Schools?

A Certificate is not required for posts in Catholic Maintained secondary schools.


Where can I get a certificate from?

You will need to undertake a religious certificate course in order to get a certificate. There are various courses available and are indicated below:


St Mary's College of Education

Falls Road Campus, 191 Falls Road


BT12 6FE

Tel: (028) 9032 7678

University of Ulster

Coleraine Campus

Cromore Road,


University of Ulster

Jordanstown Campus,

Shore Road



Are there correspondence courses available?

There are three correspondence courses recognised by the Catholic Church Authorities:

1. Certificate in Religious Education by Distance Learning (CREDL)

University of Glasgow

Faculty of Education

Gillis Base 113 Whitehouse Loan



Tel: Jennifer Myles at (0131) 447 8640


2. Life-light Home Study Courses


Vicarage Road



CV47 8NA

Tel & Fax: Chris Harris at 01926 810798


3. Iona Retreat Centre



BT48 9XE

Northern Ireland

Tel: Fr Paul Farren (028) 7126 2512

Fax: (028) 7137 3598


How much do these courses cost?

Each course is between 300 and 500 and is entirely self-funded.


How long do they take?

Courses normally take between 12 and 18 months


Do I need to complete the course before taking up a teaching appointment?

The course must be completed before taking up appointment. Whilst it is permissable to apply for positions whilst studying for the certificate, you are required to have the certificate upon taking up appointment.


How do I know that the Certificate in Religious Education that I have obtained is recognised by CCMS?

To find a comprehensive list of all the Catholic colleges in higher education which award the Certificate in Religious Education recognised by church authorities, please click here.